Friday, July 15, 2011

Book Review: Blood and Chocolate


Yay for Book Club Friday!
Link up & share your recent reads!

This week, I read Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause.

Overview from bn.com:
Vivian Gandillon relishes the change, the sweet, fierce ache that carries her from girl to wolf. At sixteen, she is beautiful and strong, and all the young wolves are on her tail. But Vivian still grieves for her dead father; her pack remains leaderless and in disarray, and she feels lost in the suburbs of Maryland. She longs for a normal life. But what is normal for a werewolf?
Then Vivian falls in love with a human, a meat-boy. Aiden is kind and gentle, a welcome relief from the squabbling pack. He's fascinated by magic, and Vivian longs to reveal herself to him. Surely he would understand her and delight in the wonder of her dual nature, not fear her as an ordinary human would.
Vivian's divided loyalties are strained further when a brutal murder threatens to expose the pack. Moving between two worlds, she does not seem to belong in either. What is she really—human or beast? Which tastes sweeter—blood or chocolate?

Review:
It took me a few days to get into this book, however, once I reached the midway point, I couldn't get enough.  It seemed like a lot of characters get thrown at you in the beginning, but eventually I caught on.  When Vivian first met Aiden, I wasn't sure that I was going to like his character, but he grew on me.  He acted as if he would understand and love her no matter what.  There is also a male in the pack, Gabriel, that is somewhat involved with Vivian's mom and flirts with Vivian, and he becomes a major character.  The book has some crazy twists and turns and full of action about half way through.  It's not all about a love story, the pack also has to find a new leader when troubles develop in their neighborhood.

Overall, it was a very good book.  Annette Curtis Klause was very descriptive and made the story easy to imagine.

4 out of 5 stars

ps. while googling the title of the book, I found that a fellow blogger, "Books, Cats, Movies & Coffee" posted a review with a movie trailer for Blood &Chocolate!  The movie looks like a slightly different plot, but interesting nonetheless!

4 comments:

  1. Chocolate. It definitely tastes better than blood. No, I haven't done any studies to prove it.

    Thanks for linking up again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, chocolate is definitely better!

    Thanks for hosting such a great link up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, I agree with Heather, i'd prefer the chocolate! I've never heard of this book, myndaughter loves wlves, it's her bedroom theme, but she's only 10 so I probably wouldn't suggest this one to her yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just about to ask if it was based on that movie that came out a few years ago. I may have to read the book and go watch the movie now! :D

    ReplyDelete